Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cable fishing complete

Last week I completed fishing cables for my video distribution system. Still no idea what the mystery blockage in the middle of my wall was, but after a lot of random wiggling and the use of a fish tape in conjunction with the fish stix I managed to get a cable run. Once that was complete, it was quite easy to terminate the cat5e thanks to some tool less keystone jacks. I highly recommend these, very easy to use!

So in total I did four of the six runs that I was originally hoping to do. I decided not to do two of the runs because they were to bedrooms that I never use, and they were pretty a pretty deep and hard to reach portion of the attic.

Now that I have cat5e jacks in my major TV viewing areas I'm in the market for a video player of some sort. The AppleTV may be a possibility although I can't help but feel underwhelmed by it. What I really want is something that's open (or easily hackable and somewhat supported) that will allow me to run 3rd party apps. I have dreams of a 3rd party app sitting on an AppleTV that will allow me to search for and schedule torrent downloads that I'll later be able to view on the TV. First I need a huge NAS that can run a torrent client though.

No comments: